Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

I'm in the hurt locker...

And I don't know the combination to get out.

Those were my words coming in to my last transition off the bike for the run during my first triathlon. Yesterday, I raced the Lake Padden competitive division triathlon, which is basically an Olympic distance, with Megan from work and her friend Paige. I was SO glad I had people I knew at the start with me!


All three of us before the start. Nice caps, huh? 

Driving up, I started to feel the wave of anxiousness that surrounds me when I am not adequately prepared. I wanted to train more, but I am lazy. Way lazy. And as an athlete, that absolutely drives me crazy. But more about that later. Joelybean was good enough to wake up at 4:30 am and drive me up to Bellingham (even though he didn't let me sleep and sang and danced). I got all checked in and Joel helped me set up my transition area from the sideline. So easy to get psyched out when there are fit people walking around with expensive gear totaling more than I make in a year. Thankfully Joel and Megan helped me keep calm. The water was definitely not lounging water temperature, but wasn't super cold. I didn't fit in to the first wave start, so I was in to the second wave start. The swim was... terrible. I knew that it would feel awful. I swam once twice in the last two months or so, and one swim was two days before the race. I decided to swim without a wetsuit, mainly because I didn't have access to one, but also because the water wasn't too cold and I wouldn't have to try to take it off! I got into the front group after the first 50 meters or so, and tried to just cruise comfortably around the buoy and back.   I thought I could get away with it, but Joel saw me swim backstroke about half the way back. My goggles were on so tight that I couldn't see anything, so I stopped trying to site anything on shore and just followed other people. When I got to the shore (FINALLY - such a long terrible swim!) I was super confused about where to go. All I saw was a bunch of ribbons and people, but the way it was lined out I couldn't figure out where to go until I saw someone else do it. Finally, after begging my legs to move, I started running into transition to get my bike stuff on. I lovingly remember Joel commenting on my backstroke swimming as I slowly dried off, ate some honey stinger blocks, put on my shoes and basically took my sweet time. I had Reynauds so bad that I felt like I was just fumbling; turns out I didn't even get my bike shoes on all the way. And off on the bike leg I went. 
About as graceful as a whale getting out of the water.

Photo courtesy of Joelybean. 

I was SUPER easy to spot in my Nuun kit. 

Taking my time and doing my hair... or something. 

Once on the bike I was trying to cheer myself up. The swim was a total psych out. I honestly felt like complete shit -  I am not lying. I was super worn out, my whole body was locked up and cramping. The bike started off with a gradual hill that I was so psyched to make it to the top off, even if people passed me the ENTIRE way. Then, downhill. But no one knew how to ride a bike on the right hand side of the road safely, so passing was limited. I played leap frog with a few people for a while around Lake Samish, before climbing my way to solitude for the length of Old Samish Highway. Then a quick ride through downtown before the steepest hill in all of Bellingham. Joel and I drove up the hill before the race started, and had my legs been feeling better I am sure it wouldn't have been so bad. After about 10 seconds standing on the hill, I was immediately in my granny gear just praying to make it to the top. Luckily I wasn't out of breath, so I was able to thank the people along side the road cheering as well as offer witty banter to other racers. Then one last corner with one last hill before entering transition again. I won't lie, the thoughts coming into transition off the bike were much different than I thought. First of all, I had to pee. So so so so bad. Also, I knew I was about an hour and a half away from a tasty beer with friends after crossing the finish line. I knew I would see Joel, too. Into transition I was quicker this time, but scared for the run with how bad my legs felt. 


Heading out for the run, I so wanted to use the porta-potty. I cursed all the Nuun and water I drank before hand. I was just trying to place one foot in front of the other and before I knew it BAM! A hill. My legs were so tight getting off the bike that I felt like they couldn't move. Eventually I loosened up and settled into a nice pace. I even ran into a friend I haven't seen in about two years who was just out running the open course. Running through my first lap and onto the second Joel was cheering me on. Man, that second lap was a lot longer than the first. I so wanted to just get to the finish area to see my boyfriends face and cross that finish line. And I did. And then finally went to the bathroom! 

I think the weather knew I was happy with my race finish. Joely and I sat outside after going out to dinner and watched the sun set. 



I was so happy I did the race! It was a great first race and not too intimidating. A day later, and I am definitely tired and a little sore. 

Some lessons I learned:

1. Train more. Working out a few times a week if you are a person who holds yourself to a high expectation doesn't cut it.

2. Being passed still doesn't feel good, but don't let it get to you. Everybody has got their own story. 

3. Don't drink so much before hand. It makes your bladder hurt when you are running. 

4. Eat beforehand, you don't want to eat anything on the bike. 

5. If you are a swimmer, don't expect the swim to go well if you haven't been swimming. 

6. Wear a flattering kit if you want your pictures to turn out well. Otherwise you look like a whale with running shoes. 

7. Showering after the race in the parking lot looks weird. But wait, I already knew that. And I will continue to do so. 

8. Just enjoy it. When you want to smile, smile. 

9. Don't act like you know how to 'race' a triathlon if you don't. I was happy to just make it through; now I know something about pace. 

10. Practice transitions. 5 minutes in transitions is a little much. What did I do, take a shower? 

11. Don't go out and buy a ton of stuff before hand, because it probably either won't work or won't be what you want. 

12. Don't have a sprinter mindset. The race isn't won in the first couple minutes. 

13. Swim with your goggles in open water before using them. I made a rookie mistake and used goggles from 2004 (I got them in a goodie bag for Olympic Trials so this is how I know) and haven't swam in them since then. 

14. Take a nap after. This isn't really a lesson, just something really wise to do. 

15. If you are planning out your training schedule WHILE YOU ARE RACING, you should probably follow through and stop being so lazy. 

16. Get sleep before the race. Being tired at the start sucked. 

All in all, a blast. I have my next race in a month and hope to be in much better shape, and also lighter in weight, by then. And yes, I am much more committed to the effort. While I know that the race will hurt (and no, that doesn't scare me) I am hell bent on improving so it doesn't hurt like it hurt this time. 

Thanks for reading! I am going to go sleep now. 



2 comments:

  1. I did a Duathlon back in May. I was happy to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finish is the best part, but I knew I was in for a new addiction when in the middle of all the pain I was saying 'I can't wait to do this again!'

    ReplyDelete