Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Everyone deserves a chance!

Hi friends!

So, as I have mentioned before, I was a swimmer. I swam for about 11 years before being forced to throw in the towel after a career ending injury at the age of 16. While my swimming career was cut short, I still enjoy being around the swimming world and occasionally hopping in the pool. I look back on my time swimming with a lot of happiness; it brought some of the most challenging, happy, sad, and testing times I could have ever had as a young person. I learned so much and developed a passion for the water and athletics that will most likely follow me to my grave. I have a deep passion for athletic endeavors and cherish all of my swim memories, friendships and experiences. Hell, I got to touch Michael Phelps' butt - I don't regret swimming at all!

I am currently working to raise both swimming items (swim suits, caps, goggles, etc.) and funds to purchase some of these items at discounted rates. I am developing a program that will donate swim goodies to families and children that enroll into a swim team scholarship program. The scholarship program will make this wonderful sport more affordable to those who otherwise might not be able to join. Being a member of a swim team is expensive - swim team dues, swim stuff (its not cheap, go look at a Speedo swim suit), meet dues, travel expenses, and then those dang race suits. I want to be able to take some of the sting away to enable kids out there to have some of the same experiences and feelings I had growing up thanks to swimming! I think its only fair that every child has a chance to be a part of something that can be so life changing and have such a positive impact on a person in the long run. I don't know a single athlete that looks back on their career and wishes they weren't involved in it at all (parts, maybe; I would take back being tackled, but that's a different story).

On top of being able to make donations to scholarship families for the swim team, I want to be able to have suits available  at the pool for families and kids to use. Often times families are turned off of the idea of swimming because of the cost associated with it; on top of the pool entry fee, swimmers are required to have suits. Too often, I see kids swimming in clothes which is both REALLY difficult and bad for the pool. The older the children get, the less likely they are to go swimming with friends in clothes. If swim suits are available, my hope is that this will spur a passion for the water and swimming.

It is a tragedy that people die every year from water related accidents because they don't know how to swim, something that is so easily preventable by getting involved with your local aquatic center and getting your kids in lessons. Swimming is also a healthy sport and one that is SO FUN to be in (I am biased), and I want all kids to have the option to swim. Its a lifelong skill and sport that will never disappoint. And playing a part in allowing a family of five to go to the local pool and swim together, what's better than that!?

I am accepting swim suits of any size, seriously, even toddlers, and any swimming gear you might have. I am also accepting monetary donations to allow me to buy swim suits for the team scholarship program; an old swimming friend of mine is helping me with obtaining suits at a discounted price. Please consider helping out the cause and feel free to reach out to me if you find you are able to help me out!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment