Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

My first spring weekend


I know I need to write about my big trip(s), I know I do. I just can’t quite muster the energy to relive the entire thing, so I will make do with my weekend adventures. As some of you might know, I am from a acts-smaller-than-it-is town in Eastern Washington known as Yakima. While this town receives attention for its incredibly high crime rate, it’s the town I grew up in and while I normally regret it after about 6 hours inside city limits I do love going home. This weekend, the weather was nice in Seattle. Extremely nice, but I wanted something warmer. With boyfriend and bikes in tow, I headed over the mountains Saturday. It was a gorgeous day and I felt so bad for driving it. I made up my time outside on Sunday though. After making a lovely Gluten Free Easter breakfast, we sat outside in the sun for what seemed like forever before headed out on a bike ride.
 
Seriously, who wouldn’t want to bike here? Gorgeous scenery, plenty of climbing to your heart’s content, endless quiet country roads that go for miles; Yakima is a cyclists secret.

 It was a great day. But I started to fade. As my cycling-crazed boyfriend reminded me, I hadn’t ridden in about 9 months, and the ride I chose probably wasn’t the best for a first ride. The last third of the ride was slow going. Shout out to JB for pushing me up some hills and luring me to the finish line with a milk shake.

During the ride, I had been feeling some toe pain. See, a few months ago I got some super minor frostbite compounded by some toe bang (exactly what it sounds like) which resulted in a really ugly brown and purple toe. I thought we were on the mend, until I realized I was losing my toenail a few days before Ecuador. For protection, I tried to make it last. I wasn’t ready to say goodbye. After making it through Ecuador, my toe nail decided it just couldn’t hang on any longer and died during our bike ride. So, flip flops it is for a while.

Ride completed, all packed up and milkshake in tow we headed back to the Ocean side.  But, I will be back over to the East side in a few days, hoping to soak up some more of that glorious sunshine.
 
I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter and has had a great start to their week!

No comments:

Post a Comment